I teach technology applications to the Kindergarten – 5th grade students. I see each students once a week if we’re lucky. Using an online learning management system (LMS), I have the ability to reach more students with videos and articles that can be watched and read outside of my class time. I chose to start my first LMS course with a tool that is easily learned and used by many people, young and old: Microsoft PowerPoint. This is a 6 week course designed for 4th grade students. There are a number of videos for students to watch and a few articles for them to read. Quizzes and formative assessments will be done in class through online tools like Kahoot and Plickers.
As you recall from the last post, the LMS I have chosen to use is Schoology. You can access my course by creating a free log in here and using this access code 4X6DJ-75HBB. The following list is an outline with resources that will be entered into the course.
- Students will use the Internet to find and summarize information about a topic of their choice. Choice must be approved by the teacher.
- Students will use a checklist to write down the source of their information.
- Videos: “A Fair(y) Tale Use” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bK8AZSYtPU) & “How to Know If a Source is Reliable by Shmoop” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EAxomGhNY)
- Article: http://www.copyrightkids.org/whatcopyframes.htm
- Students will use the Internet to find and save images for their presentation.
- Students will use a checklist to write down the image source.
- Articles: http://www.copyrightkids.org/defframes.htm & http://www.copyrighthub.co.uk/find-out/for-kids#
- Interactive website: http://www.cyberbee.com/cb_copyright.swf
- Students will be introduced to PowerPoint.
- Videos: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/powerpoint2016/: Getting Started with PowerPoint, Creating and Opening Presentations, Slide Basics, and Text Basics.
- Students will open PowerPoint on their computers and show understanding by performing simple tasks as a group.
- Students will create a 6 slide PowerPoint presentation by using the information and images they collected in weeks 1 & 2.
- Students will name and save their presentation to the computer desktop.
- Videos: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/powerpoint2016/: Saving Presentations & Applying Themes.
- Students will add slide transitions and animations to pictures and text boxes.
- Students will save changes to file on their computer desktop.
- Videos: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/powerpoint2016/: Applying Transitions, Inserting Pictures, Formatting Pictures, & Animating Text and Objects.
- Students will transfer their presentation to their OneDrive to be shared with the teacher.
- Students will be grouped by threes and present their PowerPoint to their 2 peers.
- Videos: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/powerpoint2016/: Presenting Your Slide Show.