People fear the unknown, and there are teachers on my campus who are scared of technology because it is unknown. The experienced educators have little expertise with technology. For their students, it is second nature. They have grown up with technology at their fingertips. Teachers won’t integrate and use technology because they are afraid of it. I think with a better understanding and with the basics under their belt these experienced teachers can begin integrating and using technology effectively with their students.
Using Gulamhussein’s 5 principles for effective professional learning, I’ve started developing a plan for the technologically disadvantaged teachers on my campus. With the layout of the course, I intend to address all 5 of the principles.
- Duration – Teacher PD will be held monthly throughout the school year.
- Support – Teachers participating will have support from other participants and me, the instructor.
- Active Participation – Teachers will be active learning the programs as they are presented.
- Modeling – Teachers will see how and will then do it with assistance provided when needed.
- Content Specific – Teachers will apply what was learned to their classroom.
Other areas that will be addressed are collaboration, audience, needs, leadership, timeline, instructional design, and resources.
Teachers will work together during sessions to help each other. They will pair themselves with teachers from a different grade level as themselves. This will help them open their eyes to what students need exposure and experience with and at what grade level.
I will lead the components which is why the courses will be held on a monthly basis.
The Audience and Their Needs
The PL is optional for teachers who need and want it. Teachers sign up for each course individually.
The PL will last the course of one year with one tool or program presented each month.
- September – Windows 8.1 Basics
- October – Outlook email
- November – Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- January – iPad 101
- February – Asus Tab 101
- March – OneDrive
- April – Office 365
- May – OneNote
- Desktop computers
- Asus tablets
- Software listed above
- Internet access
- Videos and articles to be provided at a later time
Let me know what you think and what I can do to make this PL even better.
Gulamhussein, A. (2013). Teaching the Teachers Effective Professional Development in an Era of High Stakes Accountability. Center for Public Education. Retrieved from http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org/Main-Menu/Staffingstudents/Teaching-the-Teachers-Effective-Professional-Development-in-an-Era-of-High-Stakes-Accountability/Teaching-the-Teachers-Full-Report.pdf